The Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society recognizes outstanding volunteers and their significant achievements by the presentation of a number of awards. Use the navigation to the left for more information.
Award Selection Process
- The Awards Chair forms an Awards Committee consisting of past presidents and members from the SMC Society Board of Governors to evaluate the nominations. Prior recipients of major Society Awards (Joseph G. Wohl Outstanding Career Award, the Norbert Wiener Award, Lotfi Zadeh Award Pioneer Award, Early Career Award, and Outstanding Service to Humanity Award) may be invited to assist the Awards Committee in the awards selection.
- The Awards Chair posts a Call for Nominations on the SMC Society website. Nominations are due by June 15 unless otherwise indicated by the Awards Committee.
- Editors-in-Chief of the SMC Transactions are invited to submit nominations for the Best Associate Editor Award and the Andrew P. Sage Best Transactions Paper Award.
- The General Chair and Program Chair of the current IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics are invited to submit nominations for the Franklin V. Taylor Memorial Award.
- Vice Presidents for Systems Science and Engineering, Human-Machine Systems, and Cybernetics are invited to submit nominations for the Most Active SMC Technical Committee Award.
- The Vice President for Membership and Student Activities and the Chapter Coordinators are invited to submit nominations for the Outstanding SMC Chapter Award.
- The Awards Chair forms a subcommittee for evaluation of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Best Student Paper Award. After the evaluation is completed, names of the winners and basis for decisions are submitted to the Awards Chair.
- After receiving nominations and supporting information, the Awards Committee evaluates and selects the awardees. Members of the Awards Committee are not eligible for awards for which they participate in the selection process. Members of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Organizing Committee are not eligible to serve on the subcommittees for selecting the finalists and winners of the two conference best paper awards. Voting members of the SMC Society Board of Governors are not eligible for awards.
- Recommended awards must be presented to the SMC Society Board of Governors (BoG) for endorsement. The BoG may reject a particular awardee by a 2/3 vote. If any awardee is rejected by the BoG, no substitute awardee shall be proposed or selected.
Updated December 3, 2015.